Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Precious Present Moment

SLOW DOWN. This is the phrase I keep having to tell myself these days. I tend to be a busy person. I have a VERY hard time sitting still (Just ask my husband who hates that I get up 500 times during a movie), and honestly, I just love the thrill of the go-go-go. I feel like a walking contradiction at times... while on one hand I am very scheduled and "by the book" so to speak, I also find myself fighting against the mundane and routine. I get bored with the same old thing every day but at the same time I feel compelled to be a time natzi and have everything planned out to the detail before I step out of bed in the morning. There are only 24 hours in a day (realistically 6-8 of those hours were "designed" for sleep), and I am being reminded that when I say yes to something, I am saying no to something else and vice-versa. If I say yes to running around without stopping all week, I (without knowing it), may be saying no to really spending quality one on one time with my son. I wonder how much I miss when I am running around. There were probably a lot of missed special moments with my son that I may only get once. I realize my saying "yes" to too much busyness has lost me from really enjoying the little things in life. I think being overly busy has really allowed Satan to steal so much time from me. Somewhere I believed a lie that by being busy, I won't miss out on anything, when in reality, the opposite is the case. One of my New Year resolutions was to be content and really enjoy where I am at NOW, not wishing I was somewhere else. How can I truly do that while living in a constant state of busyness? It is one thing to be excited for the future, but I have found that when I focus too much on tomorrow, I miss out one what God wants me to enjoy today. This week I slowed down and just savored every moment. I focused on trying to make memories and spend quality time with my husband and son. I believe that how we spend our time and money reflects what is truthfully most important to us, so I went back over my schedule and changed it to reflect what was MOST important to me. Now I am not saying that I have to say no to everything that doesn't involve what is "most" important, but it does give me some perspective on how I want to spend my time in this short life. There is such a fine balance. I can honestly say that I feel more fulfilled this week than I have in a long time. I will need to be aware of my constant need to gravitate toward "busyness", but with practice I hope that I will learn to practice the enjoyment of the precious present moment.

1 comment:

Our growing family said...

this was beautiful! God has taught me so much on this subject over the past few years with kids (maybe that's why He gives us kids!) and it really is a hard habit to aquire, but it is SO amazing. Satan doesn't want us to slow down and be at home (as the Bible tells women to "be busy at home"), becuase he knows how much we will love it once we have experianced it!
I love how the Lord is showing you this and teaching you so much right now!
A great book on this topic that I read last spring was "Breathe". It is by a Christian woman and was an easy read. I HIGHLY recomend it. I came away so encouraged and refreshed after reading it!
I hope you get a chance to borrow or buy a copy!