Thursday, May 14, 2009

Well, Almost...

I've ALMOST decided to jump on the "organic" bandwagon. ALMOST. It all started the other day when I was watching "The Biggest Loser". It wasn't as much the tv show that got me thinking, than it was the fact that these people are dead set on taking care of themselves and being healthy and having a good life. I had an epiphany that I am not getting any younger, and actually I'm beginning to get to the stage where cancer is a bit more prevalant among other health concerns. The chances start to increase from here on out. Yes I am only 27, but I am whopping 27! Was I living in denial? I'm not in my early 20's anymore. The thought of this kind of freaked me out a little. If there is any a good time to take good care of my body, it is now. Not only because of my age, but the fact that I have a very young, impressionable son who he needs a good example of how to eat and take care of his body, (cause heaven only knows he's not getting it from his father!) He needs a healthy mother who can keep up with him and be there for him! Techincally he needs a healthy father too, but Rob's "ALMOST" is leaning toward the "DEFINITELY NOT" stage. Don't worry, we are working on this. =) I am a very convincing person. Lucky for him, I do the meal planning, grocery shopping, and cooking! Muhaha!

So, the plan is to cut out these things:
  • Bleached flour
  • Hydrogenated oils
  • Saturated fats
  • Processed foods
  • High fructose corn syrup
  • Fake sugar

And add MORE of these things:

  • Fruits
  • Vegetables
  • Healthy fats
  • Lean protein
  • Vitamins
  • Water (I'm terrible with this)
  • EXERCISE! (Although I've been doing pretty well with this one)

Lately, I have been getting a lot more fruits and veggies and filling half my plate with them at every meal and only a quarter of my plate bread and protein. Suprisingly I am fuller longer. Snacks include fruits and veggies as well. I feel healthier already!

After writing this post, I am even more convinced to jump on the "organic" bandwagon...well, almost. =)

1 comment:

Our growing family said...

i definatly am on it!!! i never thought that would happen!! Mainly because I always thought of it as a luxury and the cost has held me back. Now, after diving head first into it because of my health, I am surprised at all the information about it I am finding that I never knew before (or really, info about what I was eating before). Tim was REALLY hesitant about my health food changes as food is a BIG part of our lives. We don't do much splurging on anything, but we love good food.
I took him to Whole Foods and he was SO EXCITED! He got whatever he wanted that first trip. (I think he was picturing that we were going to be eating cardboard!)
Now, he has been so suportive and loves it.
I have been trying to base my meals off of sale items and shopping from Azure Standard. The nice part about Azure is that the prices are amazing and you can shop online! The only down side is that you have to have atleast a $50order, it is only every two weeks and you have to go to a drop point to pick it up. Once you get into the habbit, it isn't bad at all.
That is wonderful that you are starting to make small changes. You will be amazed at how much you like it before you know it and all the changes will add up!
Have a wonderful day!